With differing opinions on the value of, and implementation strategy for LRT, and with Mayor Eisenberger and Clr. Whitehead disagreeing on many aspects of the issue, thus adding to the controversy, we reached out to both of them in an attempt to have them enunciate, amongst other things, their vision for Hamilton as it relates to transit.
It is with a sense of disappointment that we report to our readers that both the Mayor and the Clr. refused to engage. While atypical of both, The Hamiltonian sees this as a mis-step and a failed opportunity to respect the interests of Hamiltonians. If they have a change of heart, we will reconsider their positions.
Here are the questions we posed:
It is clear that you share differing views on LRT and its planned implementation in Hamilton. The Hamiltonian believes that with a complex project such as LRT, all views regardless of perspective, are poised to add value to the LRT decision and its potential implementation. It is in that spirit that we asking you both to reply to the following questions for publication purposes in The Hamiltonian.
1. Specific to the future of Hamilton which would include a refreshed transit system, what is your vision for Hamilton in this regard. Said another way, if we get it right, what would it look like in the short, medium and long term?
2. Switching now to the current plans for LRT, what are the major questions that give you pause. Conversely, what is it about the current plans that provide you with assurance that we are proceeding down the right path?
3. Taking the politics out of it, how will you work to ensure that the politics do not degrade your obligation to Hamiltonians to champion the right solutions, and have frank and honest, respectful discussions about the strengths and vulnerabilities of any given plan.
4. You both seem to have a different perspective as to the value of LRT as it is presently being planned. Do you allow that there is value in your differing views and arguments?
5. Is there anything else you’d like Hamiltonians to know about your perspectives on the LRT issue.